Saint Patrick arrived in Ireland in 432 A.D., landing where the Slaney River meets Strangford Lough in County Down. The local chieftain, Dichu, gave him a barn (Sabhall in Irish – pronounced Saul) in which he set up the first Church in Ireland. It was here that Saint Patrick died on 17th March 461 A.D.
The present building was erected in 1932 on the site of an ancient abbey. It is in the style of an early church and features a replica round tower of that age.